1. Identify your internship objectives, goals and purpose of your internship, once it’s identified, it will be easier for you to list down or search for the companies, organizations or institution you want, or even you are dreaming of doing your internship in that institution. Make sure you have some institutions to send your application letters to
2. Create your very sophisticated and convincing interactive curriculum vitae. Design it, if possible make it in macromedia freehand mx or other design software, so it will look professional and persuasive. Try to mix and match with those institutions.
3. Collect all business name cards you ever got from people. Then you shortlist, which company or institution you want to be stationed in for your internship. But..don’t’ make any contacts or calls to that person, send email and ask the possibilities for doing internship in his/her company. If the response is positive..go to the next step.
4. Prepare all your needed documents to be sent to certain numbers of the companies. Don’t forget also to make a time frame before your internship starts. You have also to make strategy when to send them. Try to divide some..for example: you have 4 envelopes for 4 companies. Get 2 to send by early of the month..make sure that these 2 companies are less hopeful, or tougher to get into…then you have to also prepare last minutes application letters. The last 2 you send at the end of the month, the last week, and make sure these 2 are more hopeful..the more certainty you will be accepted…please take notes.
5. Then it’s the time you send the letters. Make sure if you address the letters to the person you know, write P&C on the corner top left. It will be accepted directly by the person you address..okay. once they’re sent you just wait and be patient..and don’t make any contacts yet until you are called for interview or even, directly for work.
6. If you are accepted in more than 2 companies..please kindly tell them that you are already accepted in another place..make sure you chose the best amongst those 2 options..
Anyway, all the above tips are based on my personal experiences..i do the same thing as written. It’s for those who haven’t got any internship yet.
Note: those tips are applicable for Indonesia-located companies..for overseas internship, you shall do it one year before it starts.